From staff reports
With a high of 90 degrees expected today, Downtown Sioux Falls Inc.’s First Friday event will be a true kickoff to summer.
Some of the activities begin this morning, and the final events are tonight.
Here’s a list of what’s going on:
- Downtown Block Party on the Eastbank: 5:30 to 11 p.m., 8th & Railroad Center, 401 E. Eighth St. Enjoy live music, food vendors, beer, wine and shopping. Performers: Better Ride, Burlap Wolf King and The Maytags. Food trucks: SDSU Ice Cream, Backyard BBQ, Hunny & Bunny, Kettle King Kettle Korn and Tasty Trolley.
- Downtown street musician: 7 to 9 p.m., The Market, 196 E. Sixth St. Performer: Kevin Ryan.
- Summer Plaza Concert Series: Noon to 1 p.m., Old Courthouse Museum, 200 W. Sixth St. Performer: East of Westreville.
- Animals on the Amphitheater: 11 to 11:45 a.m., amphitheater on the riverfront between Sixth and Eighth streets. The Great Plains Zoo’s ZooExpress will bring four animals.
- Fridays on the Plaza: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., plaza outside the KSFY studio at First Avenue and 12th Street. Performer: Whiskey Rich With Joe. Food trucks.
- Parker’s After Dark: 9:30 to 11 p.m., Parker’s Bistro, 210 S. Main Ave. June’s theme is DStar Trek. Cocktail menu: Romulan Ale, Tranya, Rekarri Starburst, Voo-Sinteel, Arcturian Fizz and Silken Sunrise.
- Rehfeld’s Art & Framing: 6 to 9 p.m., gallery at 210 S. Phillips Ave. Works by Jon Crane and other members of the Artists of the Black Hills will be on display.
- PechaKucha Night Vol. 22: 6 to 9 p.m.,The White Wall Sessions, 2121 E. 10th St. The Sioux Falls Design Center is taking PechaKucha Night on the road. Nine local innovators and creators will deliver their message in the PechaKucha format.
- Sioux Falls State Theatre: 5 to 8 p.m., 316 S. Phillips Ave., free tours and popcorn in the historic theater that’s being renovated.
- Tinker Tots: 10:15 to 10:45 a.m., Downtown Library, 200 N. Dakota Ave. Explore, create and learn through STEAM activities designed for children ages 2-5 and parent or caregiver.
- Local author book fair: Federal Courthouse Plaza, 12th Street and Phillips Avenue. More than 20 authors will sign books at this event organized by South Dakota Writes.
- Sticks and Steel Trunk Show: 401 E. Eighth St. Minneapolis jewelry designer Larissa Loden is sharing her collection of vintage-modern jewelry thru Saturday.
- Stockyards Ag Experience: 5 to 8 p.m., Stockyards Ag Experience Barn, 301 E. Falls Park Drive. Free admission. Check out the Stockyards history exhibit and interactive Farm to Table exhibit. The Midwest Dairy Association will be on hand with information and activities.
- Unglued’s Sioux Falls 2nd Birthday Party: 5 to 9 p.m., 218 S. Phillips Ave. Free cotton candy, champagne, treats, a photo booth, a super simple make and take and giveaways.
- Vishnu Bunny New New Art Show: 7 to 11 p.m., 202 S. Phillips Ave. Performances by Angie Hosh and Lemmons LIVE. An art show featuring new art, new artists and work by underexposed artists in the area.
- Washington Pavilion: 5 to 8 p.m., 301 S. Main Ave. Free admission to the Kirby Science Discovery Center and Visual Arts Center. Tickets are $5 for Wells Fargo CineDome educational movies. Science activities, scavenger hunts, artist reception and prize drawings.