By Rosemary McCoy
We know Sioux Falls loves a buffet.
Ever been to the Hibachi Grill & Supreme Buffet? Prepare to stand in line at every station if you happen to hit it around noon.
Then there are the Royal Fork loyalists and the Pizza Ranch regulars.
But go off the grid a bit and you’ll discover hidden-gem buffets in some unlikely restaurants.
Here are five worth trying:
Big Rig BBQ
This place has gone way beyond its original trailer. A barbecue buffet for lunch? The day just got better.
- Address: 3219 S. Minnesota Ave.
- Selection: Typically features at least four smoked meats, including choices such as pulled pork, pulled brisket, pork loin, pork belly, sausage, ham and chicken. In addition, there are several sides and a dessert.
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. weekdays.
- Price: $12.49, drink for 99 cents.
Some of the hot-food items on the buffet at Big Rig BBQ
Part of the buffet sits on the counter at Big Rig BBQ.
No need to stop at an order of broasted chicken. This lunch buffet can take you to Mexico, Asia and back to the U.S. for under $10. Plus where else can you get gizzards?
- Address: 4211 W. 12th St.
- Selection: Broasted chicken and a rotating selection of gizzards, taco fixings, chicken fried rice, meatballs and chili hotdogs. Sides and a salad bar.
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily.
- Price: $9, soda for $1.
Chicken is the star on The Keg buffet.
Inside The Keg on West 12th Street
W. 12th Pourhouse and Kitchen
You’ve got to mark your calendar to catch a buffet here, but they’re worth it. Eat here and you’ll likely only want a beverage later in the day. Smart bar.
- Address: 5213 W. 12th St.
- Selection: Taco/nacho buffet on Wednesday, hot beef buffet on Friday with mashed potatoes, other sides and salad.
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Price: $8.95 on Wednesday, $9.95 on Friday.
Beef and pork are the centerpiece of the Friday buffet at W. 12th Pourhouse and Kitchen.
W. 12th Pourhouse and Kitchen has a sports bar vibe.
About the only thing that could make Jacky’s any better is unlimited Jacky’s. Enough said.
- Address: 1305 E. Benson Road, 3308 E. 10th St.
- Selection: Ground beef, shredded chicken, refried beans, rice, special offerings such as chimichangas and pollo en crema, and all the tortillas and toppings.
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. weekdays.
- Price: $8.95.
Two of the three Jacky’s Restaurants feature weekday lunch buffets.
Jacky’s Restaurant on Benson Road was the first to add a buffet.
Khorasan Kabob House
We get it: We’re not all foodie adventurers. Here’s the easy way to branch out a bit and sample or load up and try it all.
- Address: 301 S. Garfield Ave.
- Selection: At least three meats, including choices such as kabobs, chicken biryani and meatballs, and three vegetarian sides such as dahl karri, lubia nankhood and anjeroot, along with roti and salad.
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday through Friday.
- Price: $10, includes coffee and tea.
The buffet at Khorasan Kabob House offers a large selection of meat and vegetarian items.
Khorasan reopened in its new location in May.