April 24, 2019
This paid piece is sponsored by PODS Sioux Falls.
Is a move in your future this year? We know the thought of packing and hauling all your belongings can be overwhelming, which is why you’re going to want to hold onto this checklist.
It’s courtesy of PODS Sioux Falls – the only place you need to coordinate everything related to moving your belongings from one home to the next – and storing them safely if needed along the way.
Their experts shared everything you need to know leading up to Moving Day.
Checklist for eight weeks before Moving Day
- Create your “Move File” to keep track of all quotes, receipts and other important information.
- Make sure your PODS moving container is scheduled to arrive at a date that gives you enough time to load all your belongings. You may want to have it as early as a few days, weeks or a month before your move date. You can keep your PODS container for as long as you need, so you can pack and load at your own pace and on your schedule.
- If you need labor help, start collecting quotes from packing and loading companies. We’re happy to refer you to a trusted local labor provider.
- Contact the local Chamber of Commerce if you’re moving to another state, and request a new resident packet.
- Create a floor plan of your new home for furniture and appliance placement.
- If necessary, schedule work by carpenters, painters, plumbers, roofers and others so your new home is ready when you move in.
- Make an inventory of your household items, and begin removing clutter. Start with the attic, basement, garage and other storage areas.
- Start preparing for the garage sale you will hold three weeks before your move.
- Check with your accountant or the IRS for possible tax deductions for your move.
- Gather your personal and family records, including medical, dental, veterinary and school records, legal and financial documents, birth certificates, passports and insurance documents to keep with you.
- Check to ensure that you have enough space for delivery of your PODS container. The PODS delivery system requires a clearance of 12 feet in width, 15 feet in height and 26 feet in length. Paved surfaces are preferred. If the surface is not paved, discuss your situation with a PODS representative.
- Check if your homeowner association, apartment or condo complex has any restrictions regarding the placement of moving trucks or portable containers on or near your residence.
- If you’re considering street placement, check with local authorities to see if it’s allowed or if a permit is required. If one is required, the PODS driver will not be able to drop off the container without it. In most cases, your PODS representative can help determine if street placement is allowed or permits are required in your area.
- Be sure to fill out the required Gypsy Moth Form if you are moving from a gypsy moth quarantine state, especially if you are moving to California from any other state.
Checklist for six weeks before Moving Day
- Order supplies such as boxes and tape from PODSboxes.com to protect your items from damage during transportation. Moving blankets can be rented or purchased from most locations. Your PODS customer care associate can help you with this while scheduling your container for delivery.
- Change banks if your current bank does not have branches in your new community.
- Ask your doctor and other health care providers for referrals.
- Have your antiques, pieces of art, musical instruments and other valuables appraised. As we do not recommend storing valuables in PODS containers, start making arrangements for their transport to your new home.
Checklist for four weeks before Moving Day
- Start organizing and packing your belongings. Label all of your moving boxes as you pack them to make the unpacking process much smoother. If you determine you need additional PODS containers for your move, give us a call to let us know so we can drop off the number of containers you need.
- If you are renting, start cleaning as you pack so that you don’t have such an overwhelming task when Moving Day comes around. Remember, if you want to get your full deposit back, you will need to clean areas of your home that typically are ignored such as vents and behind appliances.
- Check with your insurance company to confirm your possessions are covered during transit. Sign up for PODS’ Contents Protection Option if needed.
- Schedule connection of utility services at your new home, including electricity, water, sewage, cable, internet, telephone and waste disposal services.
- Schedule the disconnection of utility services at your old home. Don’t forget to disconnect the day after you move and connect the day before you arrive at your new home. If you have any “final month” deposits with services such as the electric company, be sure to request your refund.
- File a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service and pick up the USPS Mover’s Guide at your local post office.
- Purchase locks for your new home, or arrange to have them installed upon moving in.
- Visit PODS.com/loading to watch our video on packing and loading. We have some very useful tips!
- Arrange for cleaning and repairs at your home.
- Make any necessary travel plans for your move.
- Begin using up frozen foods and cleaning supplies that cannot be moved.
- Make a list of your friends, relatives and businesses to notify.
Checklist for three weeks before Moving Day
- Hold your moving sale or sell items online through websites such as eBay or letgo. Donate leftover items to charities.
- Properly dispose of items that you can’t move or throw out such as chemicals, pesticides, flammable liquids and batteries.
- Cancel your newspaper delivery service.
- Change the address of your magazine subscriptions.
Checklist for two weeks before Moving Day
- Service your car in preparation for the move.
- Return any borrowed items such as library books, and retrieve items that you’ve lent to others.
- Prepare vehicle registrations for transfer if you are moving from state to state.
- Transfer your prescriptions, and be sure you have an adequate supply of medications during your move.
- Assemble a file folder of information to leave for the new owner of your home.
- Order new checks so they’re ready by Moving Day.
Checklist for one week before Moving Day
- Send change-of-address cards to everyone who will need to contact you at your new address.
- Pack a bag with your checkbook, credit cards, identification, flashlight, keys and mobile phone charger. If you’re moving long-distance, pack toiletries, paper plates and cups, towels, a travel alarm clock, bottled water, a first-aid kit and games for the kids.
- Pack a suitcase with clothing and other personal items.
- If you have a tablet computer, keep it with you as you may not get around to unpacking and connecting that large-screen TV for a few days.
Checklist for the day before Moving Day
- Finish loading your PODS container. You should receive an automated call from PODS informing you of your estimated pickup time.
- Confirm your PODS container pickup, delivery date and address at your new home by logging into your account at PODS.com. Make sure your PODS container keys are in your possession.
- Get enough cash for your travel expenses.
- Empty and close your safe deposit box.
- Drain your power equipment of oil and gas.
- Confirm your travel reservations if necessary.
- Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator and freezer at least 24 hours before Moving Day.
- Vacuum and make arrangements for disposing of any remaining trash.
- Disconnect and prepare your major appliances for moving.
- Set aside any items that will travel separately with you.
- Pack a cooler with drinks and snacks if you’re driving to a new city.
- Pack a box of items that you will need right away at your new home and label this box “load last.” Place this box closest to the PODS container door so that you can access it right away.
- If pets are traveling with you, make sure you have an adequate supply of food, medications, leashes, a travel cage and a water dish packed in the car.
Checklist for Moving Day
- Take note of your utility readings. Ensure your utilities have been connected at your new home.
- Leave a note with your contact information in the house so that the new residents can forward any stray mail or items left behind.
- Keep a friend or family member informed of your moving schedule and contact information in case of an emergency or unexpected event.
- Check every room, cabinet, closet and attic one last time before deciding everything is loaded.
- When unloading your container into your new home, check your possessions carefully as soon as possible and note any damaged items.
To download the moving checklist, click here.
Whether you’re moving across town or across country, you can coordinate it all locally with one call to PODS Sioux Falls, which offers tons of flexibility as you move and store your belongings.
To learn more about how to put PODS to work for your moving and storage needs, call 605-274-8151 or click here to get a quote and book online.
Four ways PODS Moving & Storage can save you time and money this moving season